Friday 26 September 2014

My Scoliosis Story

Hey Guys!

So today I thought I'd do a slightly different post on something that I haven't talked about on my blog before, it might not be to everyone's taste and I appreciate that but if it raises a tiny bit more awareness of Scoliosis then that can never be a bad thing. 

When I was 12 I was diagnosed with a condition called Scoliosis, a curvature of the spine. 
In my case I suffered a lot of pain and was awake most nights screaming in pain sometimes to the point where I'd have to go to hospital, I'd try to carry on as normally as possible by going to school and meeting up with friends but I became so drained with the codeine and diazepam I was taking for the pain it was clear that something had to be done.

At first I tried a back brace which although it wouldn't reduce the curve it would hopefully hold it in place, unfortunately, it didn't work, it made the pain worse and left red marks all over my back, I didn't find it beneficial and ended up quickly throwing it away.

After my parents looked on the internet we found that Sheffield Children's Hospital did a brace known as the Spinecor brace. This was a more modern version of the Boston Brace and we decided to go to Sheffield to see if it could help.

At Sheffield we found out that it was too late for the brace to be effective, I had an aggressive curve and although they could monitor it I would need surgery one day.

I had the surgery on August 4th 2010. In the build up to the surgery I didn't tell anyone how nervous I really was, I saw it as something I just had to get on and deal with. I wish now that I had talked more as it would have probably helped take some of the anxiety away.
The day after the surgery I suffered very rare complications which were described as one in a million. My lung collapsed, my blood pressure dropped, I caught Pneumonia and lost all movement and feeling in my arms and legs. My parents were told that if I survived I would never walk again. 

It was a slow process but eventually I went on to make an almost full recovery, I learnt to walk again and I got my feeling back, I still have weak lungs and I have accepted that I always will but this is only a small consequence compared to what could have been.

Scoliosis can also make you very self conscious, it can cause your hips and shoulders to be uneven and your shoulder blade to stick out. 
I personally missed a lot of school in year 8 due to my operation and have always struggled to fit back in to routine. I'm in Year 12 now and even now I suffer with anxiety, however, I don't think this is entirely due to my scoliosis. 

I wanted to help other children going through a similar experience which is when I set up Scolio. Scolio sends gifts and grants wishes to children in the UK with serious conditions and illnesses, more information on this can be found at my Facebook page Help Jess help others or by adding Scolio Fundraise on Facebook. 

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this, I hope that you now knkw a little bit more about Scoliosis. I'm sorry that this post is quite different to what I'd usually talk about but it is something that has hugely affected my life and shaped me as a person. 


x~Jess~x

Twitter: @simplyjess97
Instagram: @heyitsjess97

8 comments:

  1. aww i admire you so much for this!! what an amazing thing to set up! id love it if youd comment back http://www.amyelizabethfashion.com/2014/09/win-lulu-guinness-lfw-tote-bag-filled.html xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess, thank you for writing this and raising awareness. I too suffer with scoliosis. Only recently I touched base with it on my blog. I was diagnosed pretty much at birth with an array of other things, I suffer from a severe case of it. But 50 operations later spanning ten years, I'm still walking! :) Braces never helped me, but I always had one growing up because it helped with pain, and was a form of protection for me at school and in the yard, never liked them though! If you ever want to do a collab post on scoliosis down the line I would be more than happy to do so. Fair play girly x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post and it's fantastic for raising awareness. Thank you for giving me this amazing afternoon read, you are strong. x

    Beauty Soup || UK Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, thanks for sharing and raising awareness - you go girl!

    I have a new outfit post up on the blog, would love to know your thoughts:

    http://electricsunrise.blogspot.co.uk/

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for being so brave and sharing it with us all, I think you're amazing- people don't know how lucky there are when there are people out there struggling with things we don't even know about! xxx



    Blonde of carbs

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm supposed to be having my scoliosis operation next Wednesday (15th October) and this has given me so much confidence that I'm going to come out of it alright! thankyou for writing this blogpost :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://maddiebrowne100100.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1

      Delete
  7. Wow you really are a strong girl! I've learnt about Scoliosis at college and I can't believe you were so brave especially after everything that happened! Well done Jess!
    Mary-Ann xx
    Angel Flicks

    ReplyDelete